Next AAUW Used Book Sale in Glen Ellyn
May 1-4, 2019
Why do we collect and
sell used books?
The Wheaton-Glen Ellyn Branch’s main fundraiser is the annual AAUW Used Book Sale. Each year, the sale is scheduled for 3 or 4 days in May. We sell more than 30,000 volumes to the community and visitors from surrounding states. Proceeds fund fellowships and grants nationally and COD scholarships locally. Contact Nancy for general information about the Book Sale.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
- Help with sorting whenever you can. Watch for announcements in Twigs or by email. Contact Marilyn for the next sorting date.
- Contact your neighbors and friends for book donations, then collect their donations and deliver them to the book locker. Please contact Marilyn if you will be dropping off book donations at the locker so she can monitor our ongoing storage capacity.
- Contact Carolyn if you can help with large donations or occasionally pick up books from the realtors.
- Like Wheaton-Glen Ellyn AAUW Used Book Sale on Facebook.
- Help the Branch collect book donations.
Download a “Donate Books” flyer and post it at a community bulletin board or email it to your friends and local realtors. Click here.
We Welcome Book Donations
We always welcome book donations. Two local ReMax realtors listed below will accept your donations during business hours. For large donations, email Carolyn for more information.
BOOK DROP-OFF LOCATIONS:
Wheaton – ReMax Suburban
1417 N. Main Street
Glen Ellyn – ReMax Suburban
441 Taft Avenue
BOOK STORAGE: Books donated to the sale throughout the year are stored at an indoor public storage facility. Details of the locker’s site and access code can be found in Twigs and on the website’s Members Only page.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Help with sorting whenever you can. Watch for announcements in Twigs or by email. Email Marilyn for the next sorting date.
Contact your neighbors and friends for book donations, then collect their donations and deliver them to the book locker. Please send Marilyn an email if you will be dropping off book donations at the locker so she can monitor our ongoing storage capacity.
Please send Carolyn an email if you can help with large donations or occasionally pick up books from the realtors.
Post donation request flyers on your community, school, or church bulletin boards
Like Wheaton-Glen Ellyn AAUW Used Book Sale on Facebook
General Book Donation Guidelines:
We accept all books, including audiobooks, DVDs and CDs. We do not take magazines, textbooks, VHS videos, Readers Digest Condensed books or encyclopedias.
We especially love to receive collectible books. These are not just “old” books but can be books on special topics, books with collectible pictures, first editions with pristine dust jackets, unique children’s books in excellent condition, art books and other “coffee-table” books. So, please consider donating one of your treasured volumes. We promise to value it, to find a good home for it, and to use the proceeds from your rare and special book to support education for some lucky woman.
“Curios and collectibles” are a special category. We always welcome that amazing book that is too special to give away without finding just the right owner. Our appraiser helps us evaluate such books so don’t fear that their value will be overlooked. We will find the right place for them.
Moving along a rare book, a scarce book, a book of considerable worth, is an act of recycling with a cultural value.
— Curio Chair, Ewa Bacon
You can help us out by being on the lookout for such treasures—at home, among friends and family, and even at estate sales where they may be hidden.
Note to Members:
Members find that working on the Used Book Sale is a great way to meet people while contributing to AAUW, the nation’s oldest and largest source of scholarship funding for women.
- We need volunteers throughout the year to pick up books from the drop off locations and to sort books in the storage area (when scheduled). Watch for announcements in Twigs or email Marilyn to add your name to the regular sorters’ email list.
- To volunteer for book pick ups, email Carolyn.
- To help with sorting books, email Marilyn.
- For information about the book sale storage locker, go to the Members Only page.
On the Monday before the, sale we move the books from the locker to the Civic Center. At the Civic Center, we need help opening the boxes and displaying the books on tables. Volunteers are requested to sign up for one or more 3-hour shifts on the two and a half days prior to the sale.
No heavy lifting for our members – we hire movers for that! To find out how else you can help with the Book Sale, email Nancy.
Our book sale is also listed with: